Baby Spinach, Roast Pumpkin and Feta Salad
I recently attended my beautiful niece’s 1st birthday party, and my sister asked me to bring along a green salad. As it is currently winter, I decided to make a warm salad to suit the cold Canberra climate. The salad was a hit with the guests, and so I thought I would share it.
- 1/2 large butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, and cut into bite size pieces
- 40gms pine nuts
- 160gms baby spinach leaves
- 100gms reduced fat feta, crumbled or cut into small pieces
- Handful of shredded or shaved parmesan cheese
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
- Dash of olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (note: I have a fan forced oven).
- Place pumpkin pieces on grease proof paper on a baking tray and lightly spray them with olive oil spray. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Lightly toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan.
- Place pumpkin, feta and spinach in a bowl.
- Add a dash of olive oil and balsamic to the salad, and toss ingredients together.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts.
This recipe will serve 5-6 as a side dish or 3-4 as a light lunch.