Ratatouille is a healthy Mediterranean dish that is great both hot or cold, so perfect for all year round. I made this dish last night for dinner, and served it with grilled chicken. YUM!
Although this isn’t a traditional way to make ratatouille, it’s quick and easy (and not to mention, healthy!). For a vegetarian alternative, serve with chickpeas mixed in.
- 1 tablespoon, olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or 2 teaspoons of minced garlic)
- 300gm mushrooms, sliced
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and copped
- 1 x400gm can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons, lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon, dried basil
- Black pepper and pinch of fresh parsley or coriander to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, and stir occasionally for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the zucchini, eggplant and capsicum and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and basil, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and stir in lemon juice.
- Remove from heat to serve, and garnish with fresh parsley or coriander.